Category Archives: SharePoint 2007

Creating a scalable Share Point 2007 structure

We need to create a Share Point structure which can scale well to possibly TB of data.

In order to do this it was decided to split the company up to use different site collections, using the same URL to access them.

Thus we needed each site collection to use a seperate database, for easy restores, security, performance and other goodness.

Thus I began researching and found this link:

Which basically explained exactly what I wanted.

I went with the first approach, as I currently have full control over the system.

Thus I did the following:

1. Set the current content DB to offline.

2. Create a new one.

3. Create a site collection.

4. Switch the first content DB online.


One issue which arose on one of our environments was the site collection did not create correctly, and it appeared to fail at the end of the process, creating the top level site.

Restarting the timer service fixed this.

That was courtesy of this link:

Thanks for blogging guys.


List of Share Point 2007 site template names

While googling how to create site collections using stsadm I came across this excellent list of template names:

Display Name Template name
Team Site STS#0
Blank Site STS#1
Document Workspace STS#2
Wiki Site WIKI#0
Blog BLOG#0
Basic Meeting Workspace MPS#0
Blank Meeting Workspace MPS#1
Decision Meeting Workspace MPS#2
Social Meeting Workspace MPS#3
Multipage Meeting Workspace MPS#4
Document Center BDR#0
Records Center OFFILE#1
Personalization Site SPSMSITE#0
Site Directory SPSITES#0
Search Center with Tabs SRCHCEN#0
Publishing Site CMSPUBLISHING#0
Publishing Site with Workflow BLANKINTERNET#2
News Site SPSNHOME#0

Thank you Edwin, at

The maximum number of web parts for all zones on this page has been exceeded error

One of our more intrepid users recently got this error while adding loads of webparts to a sharepoint 2007 instance.

It displayed [MaxZonePartsExceededException] The maximum number of web parts for all zones on this page has been exceeded.

Followed by a stacktrace of where the error occured in the sharepoint code.

To resolve this, you can go to the users site admin screen by adding ?contents=1 to the end of the url, and deleting webparts which aren’t needed or you can update the web.config changing the WebPartLimits MaxZoneParts=”50″ setting.

Error Code 64: Host not available solved

Recently on migrating to a new platform, we experienced this error:

Error Code 64: Host not available

This was quite mysterious as it only occured after a IIS reset, and pressing F5 fixed it.

The only error which occured was an exception displayed in the system event log.

This read:

A process serving application pool ‘<Pool Name>” suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service. The process id was ‘2100’. The data field contains the error number.

No other debug information was available anywhere.

Unfortunately this was a production server I was building, so I didn’t want to install any debug tools.

Anyway, eventually I discovered this was being caused by an unhandled exception in our own code, which was not being caught.

In summary, this had nothing to do with IIS settings, ISA Server settings or Sharepoint, but was purely our own code.

Error in SSP accessing any search settings page

Recently I went to Search Settings and saw this:

The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress

Considering nothing had changed, I checked everything was working normally, and then googled it.

I came across this page:

Which was quite useful, as one of the comments had the solution.

Run: psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait

Which fixed it.

Alternate Access Mappings not being applied to pages

I recently configured a new farm, where I had the strange problem of the AAM’s not being applied.

After checking everything, I eventually found my way to the Alternate Access Mappings screen, in central admin, Operations, where I discovered…

A ‘space’ before the end of each internal mapped AAM.

e.g. /

Removing the offending space fixed the problem.

Anyway, from this i’ve learnt two things:

1. Never configure a farm on Monday morning.

2. Always check your AAM’s after copy and pasting them, as they may have other characters after them.

Unable to access SSP Admin site

After installing Sharepoint 2007, and setting up a SSP I was unable to access it, as it kept prompting me to authenticate.

This was occurring for any user, including the user which installed it.

After much fuss, I found the following link:

Which essentially solved my problem.

I implemented Method 1: Disable the loopback check

Add a registry key at : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Called: DisableLoopbackCheck, which is a DWord, and give it a value of 1.

That solves it.

Absolute SharePoint Blog by Vlad Catrinescu

Vlad Catrinescu's SharePoint Blog

Tumble Road

Tips and tricks for SharePoint 2007 and above

Agile llama - blog

A collection of postings by the agile llama collective

Tips and tricks for SharePoint 2007 and above


You will love the way we work. Together.

My journey from Cynicism to Unicorns, Rainbows and Fairy dust

Just trying to stay "Super Sparkle Happy"

Which Tool When

Tips and tricks for SharePoint 2007 and above